About Me

My photo
I started playing EVE in 2009, and tried to jump straight to nullsec. I quickly figured out that there was a better way to progress, and joined EUNI. Since then, I've spent a little bit of time with Star Fraction in low and nullsec, and quite a bit of time with Adhocracy Incorporated in W-space.

Friday, July 8, 2011

Where/When/How?

Where
Here!

When
When I have a chance. Obviously I like to actually play EVE, but one of the benefits I've found is that there are plenty of times that there are a few minutes here or there that waiting is the right course of action. I'll probably end up using these and the miracle that is having a second monitor to write a post here or there. My goal at the moment is about a post a week, depending on how broad of a topic I choose. When I choose to tackle something, I try to get as far into it as I can to get something out of it, so if I choose something big, there might be a bit more lead time.

How
Hmm. "How". There are a lot of different ways to answer this. With a computer?
Nah, cop-out. Let's go for the more "how is this going to be structured" side of things.
Each week I'll choose a topic that interests me, and throw EFT, EveMon, Google, Excel, or another tool at it, to see what shakes out. I'll write it up, and put it up here for perusal at your leisure. As an example of the kinds of things I might do for a post, here are some potential titles (mostly from forum posts that I have made that will likely be cross-posted at some point)
- The joy of stealth bomber ratting
- How to: fleet comms
- Why should I do T2 production?
- Using market orders for the non-trader

Given my past experience with the written word, my posts might be a bit longer than you would expect, but most of them shouldn't be excessively so.

In each post, I'll always finish off with a TL;DR, so that if you aren't sure if you want to spend the time reading the entire post, you can at least get the overarching idea of the post, and decide for yourself if you want to read more.

I'll try to post the subject of the next entry I will be working on at the bottom of each post, as well. If I don't manage to do this at the time of posting, I'll come back and edit it at some point when I know what the next post will be! Again, I'm not going to handcuff myself with this, and if something else pops up that attracts my attention, I'll write about that first before getting back on track. Likewise, I might have a small post here or there in between the more significant posts that will likely be on an entirely random topic. Just fair warning.

I am perfectly open to taking requests/questions for future posts. Comments here work, so does EVEMail. I really would like you, as the reader, to feel involved in the evolution of this blog, and have it be a bit more of an interactive activity than it might otherwise be, so please, feel free to speak up if you have something to say!

It's also entirely possible that I will talk a lot about fitting specifics. In the case that I'm looking at one specific fitting, I'll probably leave it in the main body of the post, but if it is more than 1 or 2 fittings that I am talking about, then I'll very likely put them in a separate post of just-fittings.
That is, unless I figure out an easy way to allow part of my post to fold out of view by default...

And just to make sure that everything is comparable throughout the life of my blog, whenever I'm looking at the stats of a fitting, I'll be comparing numbers using all level V skills, and will call out whether drones are considered in a DPS calculation or not.
For the ease of you, the reader, I will also be using a direct copy-and-paste out of EFT for the fittings, and will name the fittings something reasonably descriptive, so as you follow along throughout the operational life of my blog, you can copy/paste those fittings into EFT to start building your personal library of fittings to play with (at no work for you!), or do the copy/paste shenanigans with EVEMon to figure out how long of a skill train that particular ship loadout will be.

TL;DR:
Once a week-ish, a topic should be pretty thoroughly considered here. Expect longer-than-your-average-blog posts. When I'm talking about fittings, sometimes I'll just put the link into the post (if there is a lot of them) and post the fitting itself elsewhere. It will always be set up to be easy to copy/paste so you can do additional analysis on your own, if you like! I am open to suggestions on ideas to consider/posts to make/etc, and would like for this blog to be interactive for the reader.

Next Time:
Next, I'll wrap up my blogs-about-blogging, before actually launching into the kinds of posts that you can expect to see on a more regular basis from me. I'm thinking of starting with something simple, like a ShipStudy (which will likely be a regular fixture in this blog) where I consider the ins and the outs of a particular ship for the various roles it is good at playing. I'm thinking first it might be a ShipStudy of the ever-famous workhorse, the Drake. We'll see.

Until next time, remember "hoW" has a W too ;-)

-K'

No comments:

Post a Comment