About Me

My photo
I started playing EVE in 2009, and tried to jump straight to nullsec. I quickly figured out that there was a better way to progress, and joined EUNI. Since then, I've spent a little bit of time with Star Fraction in low and nullsec, and quite a bit of time with Adhocracy Incorporated in W-space.

Friday, July 8, 2011

Who?

"Who" is also a very important question to ask, here. I could be some crackpot. And maybe I am, but that's beside the point. The point is that my background affects the way that I look at things, and the way that I tackle an issue, so you knowing that gives you a bit better clue as to what you can expect out of me.

Let's break this up into two pieces. Who am I outside of EVE, and then who am I inside of EVE?

Outside of EVE
Outside of EVE, I am a 23 year old Mechanical Engineering graduate student in the US. I like using numbers to understand things. I like looking for trends in things. I like looking for, and potentially finding, things that are unexpected. Solutions that you might not "normally" see.
I enjoy games of all sorts, from athletic to card to computer. I like the organization and framework that a game provides. In the past I have subscribed to that game that is traditionally not named in the EVE community, though I've now been free of that for long enough that the memory of it is beginning to fade. Because I do have plenty of other things to do with my time, with respect to MMO's, I do try to be pretty efficient about what I do in-game. Figuring out how to get more/better results in the same chunk of time is something that's fun for me.

Inside of EVE
Inside of EVE, I am K'endro of Adhocracy Incorporated, of Adhocracy.
I tried EVE once a year or so before I actually picked it up. It didn't quite stick for whatever reason. I think it had something to do with me trying to use Bantams for L1 missions (they were cheaper than the other ones!), and getting blown up. The second time that I put together a 14-day trial, though, something was different, and things began to click easier.

I immediately thought "well, I might as well jump all the way in", and found a 0.0 corp that I could join up with and move out to nullsec. I'd read a good bit, and knew that it was far too easy to get "stuck" in empire space. Unfortunately it was a smallish corp, and no one seemed too terribly interested in helping the new guy out, so that didn't work out too well. And then I heard about the UNI, in the rookie help channel. And people didn't start immediately shouting down the guy who said something about it, so I went to check it out!

The UNI
That had mixed results. I appreciated the Uni for some of the stuff that they did, and not for other things... but even the things that I didn't like had positive effects.
I loved the class library that they had put together, and listened to what was at that point every single class that they had up, putting them on in the background while I played, etc. 
The UNI likewise got me into station trading; when you are stuck in a station in Korsiki for so long, spinning while wartargets run about, you might as well do something, right? So I started remote trading in Jita, and found out that that worked pretty well. I started a small trading fund, where I took some ISK donations from people to fund my new trading habit, and turned 100% profits for the first 3 weeks I did it, before eventually getting out of that (to trade with my _own_ isk, now that I had some!)

The UNI got me into FCing. During my time in the UNI I think I was _not_ FC in a total of about 2 operations, that happened near the end of my stay there. The first time (and every time after that) I was on and looking to roam, no one wanted to FC. After warning people that they were going to get popped with me as an FC, I volunteered, and my first fleet was a 40-man patrol.
The UNI got me into wormholes. I soon learned that combat patrols were relatively pointless as a unista, and started looking for other cool things I could do. Wormholes were new, so I led a few fleets in there, to try to figure out what we could do with them. The first few trips were successful. Eventually I got locked in, and lost my first pod to the self-destruct button, having no other way to get out after having to log.

ADHC, I
Pretty much as soon as I was eligible to graduate, I was looking to get out and on to other things. Wartimes were far from entertaining under the UNI ROE, and I was playing a game, after all! I happened to find ADHC on the work fair forums, and soon gathered my things to move into W-space with them. It was a much smaller operation then, and very different than it is today, but it was a whole new world apart from the UNI. I loved it. It was great.

SF
A few months later, though, I got an interesting response from an evemail that I had sent out when I was looking for corps originally out of the UNI. It was from a member of Star Fraction, about my letter of interest that I had sent. At this point in time I was still very interested in a pure-NRDS engagement policy. I thought it would be nice if everyone used one (I now realize that NBSI is a major driving force in the economy), and the whole concept of SF intrigued me. So after considering for a while, I ended up deciding that the only fair thing to do would be to give SF a fair go as well, and packed up to move out to their lowsec headquarters at the time.

There, I learned a lot about different combat tactics, different ways of getting results. The fleets moved way faster than ADHC's. WAY faster than the UNI's. The whole lowsec combat style intrigued me and proved very instructive in my PvP knowledge. SF later moved to nullsec combat, and for a little bit, nullsec living, with me learning more about the mechanics at every turn. POS bashes, gatecamps, faction warfare, black ops.... you name it, I learned about it there.
I also took advantage of my knowledge of WH's to lead SF PvE raiding fleets into W-space, to fuel a T3 production machine (that later resulted in my Legion that I still fly). Running these fleets like PvP operations honed my FCing skills to the speed of "actual" PvP. My experience in SF really was irreplaceable.

ADHC, II
And then life came up, and I let my subscription drop.
A bit ater, I decided to reinstate it, and wasn't sure what I would do with respect to corp. I posted on the ADHC forum, asking if I would be welcome back if I chose to take up EVE again. The ADHC response was very warm and friendly, and after thinking about it, they became the clear choice for coming back; while I learned a lot in SF, the WH life just appealed more to me, and I tended to steer a bit more clear of RP than SF. Plus, rejoining ADHC offered the opportunity for me to take what I learned in SF and share it with a whole new group of people. ADHC doesn't spend nearly as much time in lowsec or k-nullsec as I did during my stint with SF, so I definitely had some expertise to share.
It turned out to be a good decision.

Present Day
And that brings us pretty much to present day in my EVE career. I now do research and production, market trading of all sorts as opportunities present themselves, and spend a large chunk of my time in W-space with ADHC.
I've also taken on roles as a diplomat for ADHC, which I'm sure will lead to a post or two here.
I like to EFT around with ships that I have no experience flying just to see what they can do (this is usually step 1 for me wanting to train a new ship, as it turns out).
I'll mission in known space when the opportunity presents itself, and occasionally will explore or rat in nullsec.
I've taught a few classes at EUNI, some of which have probably been recorded (I will post links at some point), and plan on teaching more as the opportunity presents itself.
What I really like about EVE, though, is the market; reading the market, playing the market, understanding the cause and effect of it all, and profiting from it.

You
Enough about who I am... you're involved here too! Send me an EVEmail, tell me what you do in the world of EVE, maybe what you'd be interested in seeing me do a post on. I have a few ideas of my own (which is good, or this blog would already be in trouble), but I'm always looking for new opportunities.

TL;DR:
I'm a numbers nerd that likes to use those numbers to look at the bigger picture of things, and to try to find some patterns in the chaos.

-K'

2 comments:

  1. I've linked your blog to the tweetfleet. they say you need to join them.

    ReplyDelete