About Me

My photo
I started playing EVE in 2009, and tried to jump straight to nullsec. I quickly figured out that there was a better way to progress, and joined EUNI. Since then, I've spent a little bit of time with Star Fraction in low and nullsec, and quite a bit of time with Adhocracy Incorporated in W-space.

Friday, July 8, 2011

Why?

So, why make a blog?

Well, the reasons are many, but they come down to these: I do it for me, now; I do it for me, later; and I do it for you.

I do it for me, now, because I have begun to realize exactly how much of a therapeutic outlet writing is for me. Writing about pretty much anything. My corpmates have seen this in some of my Russian-novel-worthy forum posts, and they will still likely experience a lot of that. But there is plenty that I have to write where a blog makes a bit better choice of a locale, for whatever reason. As it is, anyway, having something to be able to regularly sit down and write on is something that I think will offer personal benefit.

I do it for me, later, because it makes a pretty good place for storing info about EVE. It will be way easier to search through blog posts for a "Market Insight" tag, for example, than trying to search through my hard-drive for a word document that may or may not actually have a useful tag, that I may or may not have deleted, or probably didn't even write down in the first place. In terms of RL benefit, I have noticed that my writing skills have started to decay, since I've last actually *had* to write anything. This is bad, as I'll soon be doing a lot of writing (grad student reporting in), so just getting back into writing will be a plus. You will probably also notice that this means that I'll stick pretty well to the standard rules of English, as opposed to much gaming/online shorthand. Habits and all that.

And I do it for you. I like helping people out. Even if those people are an internet away from me. It doesn't stop you from being any less real. And yes, I may be helping you out by writing about a virtual world, but that doesn't make it any less of a help. EVE has its fun parts and it's not-all-that-fun-parts (that help to make the fun parts more fun, or meaningful), but there's no reason that we can't put a little thinking to the problem to make the not-all-that-fun-stuff a little more fun, or a little less present. Grinding missions for a long time isn't too fun, but sometimes it is necessary to afford a new shiny toy. If you could put your production skills to use while grinding missions, though, and cut off a few hours of missioning time that way, while still getting your shiny, then everyone wins.
And then, going with that example, there is even the side effect that helping you change your habits helped make something that I might want to buy just a little bit cheaper... and voila! We have ourselves an effect on the virtual economy starting up. Multiply that by however many people start to read something I write, and that's potentially a big change. All because of a few words.

So, I hope this becomes a repository of very useful insights into little bits of the EVE universe.
I hope this is a place that unistas will be able to come and find a bit of info that's perhaps a bit more advanced than some of the classes that E-UNI teaches, that'll help them transition into their eventual place in EVE with less pain.
And I hope that it is entertaining, along the way.

TL;DR:
Why? Because I want to, because I can, and because I think you might like it.

-K'


No comments:

Post a Comment